The winners of this year’s Western Australian Premier’s Book Awards were announced on 17 September.
The winner of the overall Premier’s Prize ($25,000) was Fiona Skyring for Justice: A History of the Aboriginal Legal Service of Western Australia (UWA Publishing). Skyring’s book also won the $10,000 WA History Prize.
The winners in each of the categories were:
- Her Father’s Daughter (Alice Pung, Black Inc.)
- All That I Am (Anna Funder, Penguin)
- Sam, Grace and the Shipwreck (Michelle Gillespie, illus by Sonia Martinez, Fremantle Press)
- The Argument (Tracy Ryan, Fremantle Press)
Young Adult ($10,000)
- Only Ever Always (Penni Russon, A&U)
State Library of Western Australia WA History Award ($10,000)
- Justice: A History of the Aboriginal Legal Service of Western Australia(Fiona Skyring, UWA Publishing)
- Cloudstreet (Tim Winton & Ellen Fontana, Penguin)
Digital narrative ($5000)
- Machine Man (Max Barry, Scribe)
People’s Choice ($5000)
- All That I Am (Anna Funder, Penguin).