Rupert Murdoch has indicated via Twitter that he will be buying a copy of Peter Thiel’s new book Zero to One for each of his senior managers.
Peter Thiel is the co-founder of PayPal and the first outside investor in Facebook. In the Spring of 2012, he gave a lecture course at Stanford for software engineers, calling on them to think boldly and broadly about how they might use their skills to shape the future, and imparting the lessons he has gleaned from his own experience. One of the students in that class – Blake Masters – took notes and posted them online. The blog posts became a huge success, with hundreds of thousands of pageviews, and became the basis for Zero to One.
We live in an age of technological stagnation, even if we’re too distracted by our new mobile devices to notice. Progress has stalled in every industry except computers, and globalization is hardly the revolution people think it is. It’s true that the world can get marginally richer by building new copies of old inventions, making horizontal progress from ‘1 to n’. But true innovators have nothing to copy. The most valuable companies of the future will make vertical progress from ‘0 to 1’, creating entirely new industries and products that have never existed before. Zero to One is about how to build these companies. A business book that also provides insight into the world of start-ups from a Silicon Valley icon, Thiel shows how to pursue your goals using the most important, most difficult, and most underrated skill in every job or industry: thinking for yourself.
Media mogul Rupert Murdoch has taken to Twitter to endorse the book. Theil’s book Zero to One covers his thoughts on startups and the motives behind entrepreneurship. The book deals with the business challenges of the future and how successful innovation shapes society. It’s already received rave reviews from Mark Zuckerberg who says: “This book delivers completely new and refreshing ideas on how to create value in the world.” Zero to One is going to be required reading at Murdoch’s headquarters with the billionaire tweeting that he will buy a copy for each of his senior managers.
Be like Rupert Murdoch and buy the book here…
The new month has brought with it a new era for Boomerang Books, our brand new website is now live!
But it isn’t just a fancy coat of paint. Here at Boomerang, we believe in providing our customers with an unparalleled user experience, something we feel this update does.
To celebrate the launch, we’d like to invite you and your friends to become members on the site for free. We’re giving every new member that signs up a $5 credit toward their first order as a member!
Sign up here: http://www.boomerangbooks.com.au/join
It only takes a couple of minutes.
So what’s new on the Boomerang Books website?
- It’s much faster – searches are completed in milliseconds
- It has a more contemporary design and slicker interface
- Search results are presented in multiple formats allowing the user to find what they are looking for quickly and easily
- It has new social networking features, including an RSS feed of ‘what’s happening’ on the site at any one time (and there’s more to come – watch this space)
- It has smart Web 2.0-style gadgets, pop-ups and drop-downs to make the user experience more enjoyable, including ‘Someone just bought…’ and ‘Customers who bought this book also bought..’ selections
- It features a new loyalty program called Boomerang Bucks. Buy books at Boomerang Books and earn Boomerang Bucks towards your next purchase
- It’s integrated with Google Books, allowing the user to ‘look inside’ the growing list of books that have been digitised by Google
- It’s integrated with Abebooks, giving you the option to purchase second hand copies of selected books
There’s a new wishlist where you can store books that you might wish to purchase later on
- It has a much-improved book review system, allowing users to submit their own book reviews and to provide a star rating for books they have read
- It offers more payment options, including PayPal, BPay and bank deposit
- Perhaps most importantly, the new website platform is extensible and we’re planning on some exciting developments in the coming months
So be sure to drop on by and become a member today! http://www.boomerangbooks.com.au/join