The finalists for the $60,000 Melbourne Prize for Literature, presented to a Victorian author ‘whose body of published or produced work has made an outstanding contribution to Australian literature, as well as to cultural and intellectual life’, are:
- Alison Lester
- Robert Manne
- Alex Miller
- Joanna Murray-Smith
- Peter Temple
The finalists for the $30,000 Best Writing Award, presented for ‘a piece of published or produced work of outstanding clarity, originality and creativity by a Victorian writer’, are:
- Blood (Tony Birch, UQP)
- Piano Lessons (Anna Goldsworthy, Black Inc.)
- The Children of the King (Sonya Hartnett, Penguin)
- How to Make Gravy (Paul Kelly, Penguin)
- The Cook (Wayne Macauley, Text)
- Outside (David McCooey, Salt Publishing)
- Past the Shallows (Favel Parrett, Hachette)
- The Amateur Science of Love (Craig Sherborne, Text)
- Mateship with Birds (Carrie Tiffany, Picador)
- The English Class (Ouyang Yu, Transit Lounge).
The winners of this year’s awards will be announced on 7 November.
For more information about the awards, visit the Melbourne Trust Prize website.