by George Ivanoff - November 9th, 2012
The YABBAs have been announced! The winners have been hailed for their brilliance and popularity. And I’m going to tell you all about it.
There are lots of awards around in children’s publishing, but the YABBAs are special. The Young Australian Best Book Awards are entirely nominated and voted on by young people. These awards are not about grown-ups deciding on the worthwhile books that kids should be reading. These awards are about what kids are actually reading and enjoying.
I was lucky enough to be a guest at this year’s awards ceremony, along with lots of other authors and illustrators, including Carole Wilkinson, Gabrielle Wang, Corinne Fenton, Andy Griffiths, Karen Tayleur, Sue Bursztynski, Colin Thompson, Sarah Davis, Felice Arena and Oliver Phommavanh, to name a few.
Seeing the winners announced and the awards presented was great. But what was even better was witnessing the unbridled enthusiasm of the kids in the audience. They were excited about books. They were excited about reading. And that is AWESOME!
But who won? I hear you ask. And so, without further ado, the nominees and winners…
Picture Story Books…
- Enigma – Graeme Base
- Jewel Fish Of Karnak – Graeme Base
- Very Cranky Bear – Nick Bland
- Feathers For Phoebe – Rod Clement
- Terrible Plop – Ursula Dubosarky / Andrew Joyner
- Bus Called Heaven – Bob Graham
- Dragon’s Lie – Kym Lardner / Oliver Lardner
- Fearless In Love – Colin Thompson / Sarah Davis
- Captain Crabclaw’s Crew – Frances Watts / David Legge
- Rat In A Stripy Sock – Frances Watts / David Francis
WINNER: Fearless In Love – Colin Thompson / Sarah Davis
- Selby Sprung – Duncan Ball / Allan Stomann
- Extreme Adventures: Killer Whale – Justin D’Ath
- Mission Fox: Snake Escape – Justin D’Ath
- Tashi And The Golem – Anna Fienberg / Barbara Fienberg / Kim Gamble
- Just Macbeth – Andy Griffiths & Terry Denton
- Schooling Around – Series – Andy Griffiths & Terry Denton
- Alice-Miranda At School – Jacqueline Harvey
- Our Australian Girl: Meet Grace – Sophie Laguna
- Billie B Brown: The Birthday Mix Up – Sally Rippin
- Our Australian Girl: Meet Poppy – Gabrielle Wang
WINNER: Alice Miranda At School – Jacqueline Harvey
- Grimsdon – Deb Abela
- Specky Magee And The Best Of Oz – Felice Arena & Garry Lyon
- Pizza Cake – Morris Gleitzman
- The 13-Storey Treehouse – Andy Griffith / Terry Denton
- Just Doomed – Andy Griffith / Terry Denton
- Conspiracy 365: Revenge – Gabrielle Lord
- The Ivory Rose – Belinda Murrell
- Thai-Riffic! – Oliver Phommovanh
- Golden Door – Emily Rodda
- The Floods: Disasterchef – Colin Thompson
WINNER: 13 Storey Treehouse – Andy Griffith / Terry Denton
- Graffiti Moon – Cath Crowley
- Thyla – Kate Gordon
- Midnight Zoo – Sonya Hartnett
- Boofheads – Mo Johnson
- After – Sue Lawson
- Finnikin Of The Rock – Melina Marchetta
- Phoenix Files: Arrival – Chris Morphew
- Hello God – Moya Simons / Lisa Coutts
- Six – Karen Tayleur
- All I Ever Wanted – Vikki Wakefield
WINNER: Phoenix Files: Arrival – Chris Morphew
Congratulations to all the 2012 winners!
Now it’s on to 2013. Schools and students can get involved with the nominating process and voting in next years awards by checking out the YABBA website. The site also includes lots of cool activities and info, including reviews, puzzles and author/illustrator profiles.
Catch ya later, George
Check out my DVD blog, Viewing Clutter.
Latest Post: DVD Review — Doctor Who: The Ambassadors of Death