The year that was 2012
by George Ivanoff - January 9th, 2013
It’s nine days into the new year and about time for me to look back at the year that was 2012. It was a good year for me — lots of great books read and lots of stuff written. Let me tell you about it all. Well, as much as will fit into this post!
In terms of publishing, I had three school readers with Macmillan Education. But the big thing for me in 2012 was the release of Life, Death and Detention [you can read my posts about it here and here]. Originally published in 1999, it was so nice to have the book back in circulation with a new cover, a new publisher (Morris Publishing Australia) and updated stories. It was also a real buzz having Alison Goodman (author of Eon and Eona) launch the book for me at my old school, Mentone Grammar.
I also had an essay published in the Doctor Who book, Outside In. But more on that in a future post.
I did quite a bit of writing in the past year. As well as numerous school readers, articles and short stories, I wrote the third Gamers novel, Gamers’ Rebellion. I handed it in on 28 December. I’m now nervously awaiting editorial feedback!
I had more speaking gigs during 2012 than I have ever had before. Lots of individual schools and libraries, but I also did a few festivals and a four-day tour of country schools [see: “My rock star moment”]. I really enjoyed this and I hope to do lots more school visits during 2013.
And then, of course, there was all the reading. I did manage to keep my 2011/2012 New Years resolution of reading more [see: “I will…”]. Here are my reading highlights of 2012, in no particular order…
- Elisabeth Sladen: the autobiography, Elisabeth Sladen with Jeff Hudson [see my post]
- Ships in the Field, Susanne Gervay (illustrated by Anna Pignataro) [see my post]
- Flame Stands Waiting, Corinne Fenton (illustrated by Sebastian Ciaffaglione) [see my post]
- Trust Me Too, edited by Paul Collins [see my post]
- Dead Red Heart, edited by Russell B Farr
- Harry Potter and the Philosopher’s Stone, by JK Rowling [see my post]
- Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets, by JK Rowling [see my post]
- Preloved by Shirley Marr [see my post]
- Heart of Gold (The Laws of Magic, Book 2) by Michael Pryor [see my post]
- Blood Brothers by Carole Wilkinson [see my post]
- Bread and Circuses by Felicity Dowker [see my post]
- Greylands by Isobelle Carmody [see my post]
- Eon by Alison Goodman (review coming soon… promise)
- Walking Shadows by Narrelle M Harris (and a review for this one coming soon, too)
Quite a lot of highlights in my 2012 reading. I did read more than in the previous year, but I was also a little more picky about what I read. Feel free to share your favourite 2012 reads in the comments section below.
I am now looking forward to a whole new year of reading and writing. Roll on 2013!
Catch ya later, George
Check out my DVD blog, Viewing Clutter.
Latest Post: DVD Review — Episodes: Series 2