Fifty Shades of Grey now the bestselling Australian book of all time
by Clayton Wehner - August 22nd, 2012
Random House Australia today announced that E L James’s Fifty Shades of Grey has sold well in excess of 1.28 million copies in physical* and ebook combined in Australia, making it the bestselling Australian book since records began. The first book in the trilogy remains in the No.1 slot for the 16th week running and overall sales have overtaken The Deathly Hallows by J K Rowling. The second and third books, Fifty Shades Darker and Fifty Shades Freed, continue to sell strongly, with Australian sales of 779 000 and 705 000 copies respectively. Combined Australian sales for the trilogy are in excess of 2.7 million copies.
Commenting on the new record, EL James said: “My main ambition when I signed the deal with Random House was to see my books in the shops. I simply had no idea they would be so successful and this is totally unexpected. The whole process has been amazing and I couldn’t be more pleased that so many people are reading the books and would like to thank everyone involved.”
Brett Osmond, Director of Marketing and Publicity said “Australians have enjoyed reading Fifty Shades of Grey so much they have now made it the biggest selling book in our history. As an avid reader I know that feeling when you discover a book you love and you want to tell everyone about, which Australians have done in their thousands. What’s exciting for readers is it doesn’t have to end here as books two and three are available to keep the story alive.”
*According to Nielsen BookScan Australia Panel which began in 2003
- Foreign rights have been sold in 44 territories and the trilogy will be published in the following languages: Albanian, Arabic (Morocco), Bosnian, Bulgarian, Catalan, Chinese complex, Chinese simplified, Croatian, Czech, Danish, Dutch, Estonian, Finnish, French, German, Georgian, Greek, Hebrew, Hungarian, Icelandic, Indonesian, Italian, Japanese, Korean, Latvian, Lithuanian, Macedonian, Mongolia, Montenegrin, Norwegian, Polish, Portuguese (Brazil), Portuguese (Portugal), Romanian, Russian, Serbian, Slovak, Slovene, Spanish, Swedish, Tagalog, Thai, Turkish, Vietnamese – 5 million copies of translated editions are now in print
- In the US and Canada sales of the trilogy are well in excess of 20 million copies
- Global English language sales for the trilogy approach 40 million copies
- Film rights to the books are held by Universal Features and Focus Features
- E L James is a former TV executive, wife, and mother of two based in West London. Fifty Shades of Grey is her first novel.
Tags: e.l. james